>> acrylic on canvas and wood frames
The series “Painting is painting is painting is painting is…?” has been ongoing since 2006. The work in this exhibition is the sixth in this series. Beginning with the contemplation of the “medium” – painting – I have explored the boundaries between media, between image carrier (canvas) and image, between artwork and exhibition place. Media are the starting point of my work. The standard function of the materials of traditional media has been transformed, presenting a paradoxical relationship between media and materials. There is also a reciprocal switching between media. From the appearance and the process of interaction between media, I am trying to explore the definition of the artworks, materials and media, and the connection between them. The expressive function of media will not be emphasized, but the boundaries of media themselves will be blurred, going further into examining the logic of the creation of artworks. These ambiguous relationships and phenomena will provide an environmental experience to promote profound introspection.
“Painting is painting is painting is painting is…space” is a sculptural installation comprising 13 “white” paintings. A shallow and narrow “exhibition space” is simulated using one point perspective (is the traditional method to create 3D space on a flat surface.), so the painting is painting, is wall, is floor and ceiling. The front view of the work appears to be a flat visual image, but the whole structure forms a sculptural installation. With the “white simulated space” installed in a white exhibition site there is an extending mutuality between artwork and exhibition place. The images on the 13 paintings are produced by dismantling, tearing and cutting the texture of canvas, with the standard function of the canvas destroyed and transformed. Canvas is no longer the image carrier; it becomes the main visual elements to create the image. It is not only showing the front of “painting” but also the back which is part of the creation. The canvas with multiple layers expands a flat painting to a tactile surface with actual depth.
– 2014 “Crossroads • Another Dimension – A Cross-strait Four-regions Artistic Exchange Project 2013”, Hong Kong City Hall Low Block, Hong Kong.
– 2013 “Crossroads • Another Dimension – A Cross-strait Four-regions Artistic Exchange Project 2013”, Kaohsiung Museum of Fine Arts, Taiwan.
– 2013 “Crossroads • Another Dimension – A Cross-strait Four-regions Artistic Exchange Project 2013”, Mainland China; Macau Museum of Art, Macau.
– 2013 “Crossroads • Another Dimension – A Cross-strait Four-regions Artistic Exchange Project 2013”, He Xiangning Art Museum, Shenzhen, Mainland China.
– 2012 “Painting the Space”–works by Bianca Lei Sio Chong, Beijing, Mainland China.
– 2011 “Imaginary Belongings – Macau Contemporary Art”, Lisbon, Portugal;